On January 1st of 2021, the California State Legislature implemented State Bill 276, which invokes changes to the California Vaccination law. The change reinforces the existing requirement that schools and other childcare institutions require students to have the following immunizations to enter their school:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chickenpox) – If you have had documented Chickenpox, this may qualify for a waiver
- Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis booster (Tdap) (Required for 7th grade)
The State bill also requires that all new Vaccine Exemptions for school and child care entry be issued through the California Immunization Registry . (PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT EXEMPTIONS BASED ON PERSONAL BELIEFS OR FAMILY HISTORY ARE NO LONGER VALID UNDER THE NEW LAW. OUR PROVIDERS SUPPORT THE STANDARD VACCINE SCHEDULE RECOMMENDED BY THE CDC AND THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS. IN RARE CASES, THERE ARE MEDICAL REASONS THAT CHILDREN CANNOT RECEIVE VACCINES, AND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION APPLIES TO THOSE CHILDREN.)
- To obtain an exemption, parents must first register and create an account at the medical exemption website CAIR-ME before you call our office for an exemption.
- Once registered, parents can log in to CAIR-ME to request the medical exemption.
- If you meet the medical exemption criteria, you will receive an exemption code number.
- You can then call our office or reach us through MyChart to provide your child’s physician with the code number so that he/she can log in to CAIR-ME to issue the exemption.
- It is important to note that registering for CAIR-ME by the parents does NOT guarantee that your child's physician will be allowed to issue the exemption.
- Once the exemption is issued, the physician prints the two page form and provides a copy to the parents to give to their child’s school or child care facility.
If your child is not up to date on vaccines and you need a catch-up plan established for their school:
- Your child needs to have had a well child visit in the last year in order to establish a plan.
- If your child has had a well visit in the last year and you simply want to establish a schedule, we will schedule a televideo or office visit to make a catch-up plan with you.
- Please have your school fax their requirements to our office at 619-297-4567 prior to scheduling your visit.
- During your visit, we will answer any questions you may have.