Eating Disorder Treatment in the Hillcrest Area of San Diego, CA
We understand that there are many unique challenges that teens face during this time of incredible growth and change:
- Teens are trying to figure out who they are.
- They are becoming more independent.
- They are finding ways to develop important and deep rooted relationships and connections.
- They may be wondering what they’d like to study in college
- What they’d like to be when they grow up.
As a result of these stresses teens between the ages of 13 and 18 can develop eating disorders.
Children's Healthcare is proud to announce that Dr. Karen Loper has been recognized by her medical colleagues as San Diego County's "top doctor" in the field of adolescent medicine.
Dr. Loper recognizes that each new developmental stage for a teen can bring new concerns. While many of these issues can easily be addressed at home through proper communication and support, we also know that sometimes more serious issues such as anxiety and depression may require professional treatment.
Common eating disorders in adolescents and teens include,
- Anorexia: avoidance of food and diet that is extremely restrictive in calorie intake that may be accompanied by a distorted image of how they look
- Bulimia: bouts of overeating that is accompanied by purging (self-induced vomiting; excessive exercise, laxative use)
- Binge eating disorder: uncontrollable or compulsive overeating that is often accompanied by feelings of guilt or embarrassment
If you are concerned about your teen’s eating habits and signs point to an eating disorder, Dr. Loper can provide you with answers and support. Not all eating disorders should be addressed the same way, and our team of experts can provide you and your teen with the customized care they need to help them combat their eating disorder for good.
It is important to recognize that eating disorders can affect anyone, from the star athlete to the skinniest kid in class. It affects teens regardless of age, gender or socioeconomic status. Just know that as parents, you are not alone, and that patience and perseverance are key to overcoming an eating disorder.
Dr. Loper has over 20 years of experience helping teens get their eating disorder under control. In fact, many teens with eating disorders are able to recover when families seek professional help early on, so it’s important not to let this problem continue
If you are in the Hillcrest area and are concerned about your teen’s eating habits, please contact Children's Healthcare Medical Associates in San Diego, CA at (619)297-5437 to learn more about what we can do to help your teen lead a happy, healthy life.