What You Should Know
Here at our San Diego pediatric practice, we’ve made it our mission to ensure that breastfeeding is a positive experience for both mother and baby. We know that breastfeeding problems are all too common. In fact, nearly 93 percent of new moms have reported experiencing problems breastfeeding. While breastfeeding is natural this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy (so cut yourself some slack!). The pediatric team at Children's Healthcare Medical Associates can help make it easier.
Here are some common breastfeeding problems that warrant turning to our team for help:
- Your baby seems hungry between feedings
- Your nursing sessions are surprisingly short, or they last more than 50 minutes
- Your newborn goes on nursing strikes or refuses to nurse
- Your newborn isn’t gaining weight
- You are experiencing cracked, sore, or painful nipples (or signs of infection)
- You are experiencing any kind of pain that makes it difficult to breastfeed
- You notice little to no milk supply
- Your breasts are severely engorged, despite breastfeeding
- Your newborn doesn’t seem to be latching on properly
We have worked with mothers dealing with a range of breastfeeding issues. When you come into our practice, we will sit down with you and get to understand exactly what concerns you have so that we can provide you with the best support and counseling possible.
We know how frustrating and overwhelming it can be when breastfeeding isn’t working out, especially for moms who may also be battling extreme tiredness and a roller-coaster of emotions due to hormonal changes. We got you, mama! There is no reason to do this alone. We have helped make breastfeeding a success and even, dare we say it, a wonderful and positive experience for many new moms.
Every mom that walks through our doors will have different needs and concerns. Know that we take the job very seriously, and we will help you every step of the way. If you have any questions or concerns after your consultation, you can always call us and talk to one of our lactation consultants over the phone to help troubleshoot these issues with you.